Friday, May 8, 2009

Wedding Communion


I know how other cultures/religions have their own special ceremonies, such as: jumping the broom, breaking glass, lei ceremony, the couple's cords, ceremonial walk, lighting of the sacred fire, and many more. Well, the Fiance and I are incorporating Holy Communion in our wedding. This is what we call a Wedding Communion. There are a couple different ways that this can be done. My friend had a Catholic service where they served Communion to their guests that wanted to partake in it. The Bride stood on one side and the Groom stood on the other side, each holding a cup of wine. The Bread was placed on a platter in the middle between them. The guests would come up, take bread, and go to either the left (Bride) or the right(Groom) to dip their Bread in the Wine. Sundance and I will not be doing that. The Wedding Communion will just be between Sundance and I.


Why are we doing a Wedding Communion? I like how this site puts it:
"Taking communion in front of your family and friends is a beautiful testimony to the other Christians present that yours is a marriage where the Lord will be put first."

Our faith is a deep part of who we are and remains one of our relationship's foundations. The Wedding Communion will be an event that is very intimate for the both of us, almost as intimate as lighting a unity candle or doing the sand ceremony. It represents the beginning of our marriage and how our beliefs are deeply rooted in lives. Our relationship is a living testimony of the faith that we take part of daily, and what greater way to start a marriage than to do Communion together in Remembrance of the One that we have devoted our lives to.


We will first do a Sand Ceremony and then Communion. After our Communion, our officiant (who is Sundance's father and also a Pastor) will say a prayer for us, our relationship, and our walk with God. I think I will cry great balls of tears during this time. It is such a powerful moment. I've cried at other people's Wedding Communions because it was so beautiful.

I am looking for Communion songs to be played during this time. So far I've only come up with the following choices:

More Than Life - Hillsong United
You Are - Darlene Zschech and Ron Kenoly
I Give You My Heart - Hillsong
To You - Hillsong
Love You So Much - Hillsong
When I Think About Lord - CFNI
Amazing Grace - Leann Rimes version
Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) - Chris Tomlin
I Stand in Awe of You

Can you tell how much I love Hillsong and Darlene? There are a few more songs that are escaping me at the moment, but I will continue to add to this list as they come up.
Anyone have suggestions to songs that we can play during Communion?

There are also other things I need to think about, such as: do we kneel when we do this or stand; do we need a table only for our Bread and Wine and another one for our Sand Ceremony; should we break a saltine cracker, a loaf of bread, or those wafer thingees with the cross engraved in it; should we have grape juice instead of wine; where do we buy those nice Communion cups; and would the Communion cup look better clear, silver, or gold? Does anyone have any clue about these things?

Wafer

Clear Communion Cup


Gold Communion Cup


Silver Communion Cup

What cultural/religious ceremonies did you incorporate into your wedding?

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations and best wishes to you! We are serving communion to all of our guests at our wedding following our sand ceremony, as well. We are having some of our friends serve the communion as we would for a regular church service, for those who would like to participate. We are going to kneel in humble reverence and submission to Christ. I think this is very important and the only reason I wouldn't do it is if my dress would not allow it (ie, a mermaid cut or some other tight restrictive fit, which isn't my style anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your wedding!! I know that you are not looking for a song anymore - but
    I thought I would share a song that could work for other couples out there:

    It is available on iTunes - written and performed by Janine Stange

    As One

    I am humbled by your goodness
    I am lifted by your grace
    I am breathing by your mercy
    Got a tight grip on your embrace


    Soul to soul
    Heart to heart
    Eye to Eye
    What’s yours is mine
    Faith to faith
    Deep to deep
    Day to day
    You and me are ..



    As one
    We always were
    As one
    Bound by your word
    Nothing will come between us

    You are mighty
    I am strengthened
    You are healing
    I am whole
    You are holy
    I am separate
    You’re my promise
    I’m your own



    Soul to soul
    Heart to heart
    Eye to Eye
    What’s yours is mine
    Faith to faith
    Deep to deep
    Day to day
    You and me are ..



    CHORUS

    Jesus loves me this I know….



    C&P Janine Stange Tim Miner (ASCAP/BMI)

    To purchase accompaniment or sheet music you can also email: info@communionsongs.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another incredble communion song that i have never heard yet at a wedding ( I wanted to do it mine but my fiance chose a different song) is "Wellspring" by Audra Lynn. She is from the International House of Prayer. You should listen to the song. It's a gorgeous communon song!! Good louck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What song did you go with?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am getting married next month and we are doing communion as well. For our communion I was thinking lead me to the cross by Hillsong or How he loves me David Crowder bands version. I want our wedding to be like worship at our church where we all stand and sing and rejoice and celebrate. Because of Christ we are here and set free so why not worship it only seems natural.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my fiancé and I are both Roman Catholics with all the sacraments. We would like to get married soon however I am not wanting to receive the holy communion during the wedding ceremony. Both our parents are not in agreement to this. They believe that the celebration of the Eucharist is a sign of the reality of the oneness of faith, life, and worship, They both want me to prepare ourselves to receive the holy communion during the wedding ceremony.

    I feels that a church wedding without Holy Communion is the most respectful and inclusive way to proceed as I am still searching in my life, presently it is not respectful for me receive the holy communion. This marriage ceremony in the church would be similar to the normal Catholic mass, but without the sacrament of communion. How do I convenience all the parents.

    ReplyDelete