Monday, June 22, 2009

Crinoline Blues



I am such a bridal whore. Since I started to plan my wedding, I have begun to slowly collect crinolines. And now I'm up to three. What am I going to do with all these? Well, dye them of course! I finally got off my lazy butt to do a DIY project I should have done a long time ago.

I had gone to my apartment's laundry room after work, only to find out that I must use a card for the machines. Since the office was closed already, I had to turn back home. I was frustrated and wanted to do something. I decided to just do it in my bathtub.

So I filled the bathtub with super hot water, with the knob turned all the way to the right (or left for the rest of you peoples, my shower is backwards).



Then I threw in the crinoline and let it soak for about 5 minutes.



I had boiled some hot water earlier and had poured it into 2 empty water bottles (caution: it is HOT! don't burn your fingers doing this. I placed mine on the sink and poured it carefully into the bottles).



Then, I added to each bottle, a RIT powder in the color Evening Blue.



I shook the bottle a little bit for mixing and poured into different areas of the bathtub (NOT directly onto the fabric!).



With rubber gloves on, I began to swirl the crinny around to help mix the water. I made sure most of it was underwater.



Here was my technique. 1) I would scrunch, swirl, and swish with my rubbered hands for 3 minutes and then let it sit for 3 minutes. 2) Then I would rotate or turn the crinny around 1/4 so that different parts of the crinny would spend time being under water. 3) Then I would repeat 1 and 2 for the next 40 minutes. My knees hurt and my back hurt from doing this. I don't know if I recommend this technique to anyone unless you are desperate. My advice: use the washing machine! Also note that I didn't use any salt or detergent because I was lazy. Good thing it turned out okay!

After 40 minutes, I let all the water drain. Then I added cold water and swished, swirled, and soaked the crinny for another 5-10 minutes. I repeated this process.





Finally, I hung it up to dry overnight. And today, it is so beautiful!


I cannot wait to wear this under my wedding gown!




Here it is next to a pure white crinoline.


My next project is to dye it purple... this time, in the washing machine.

Now... to clean this bathtub. Gah! I realized I didn't have any bleach =( I also realized I didn't have a scrubbing brush. So, I jumped in there, armed with an old toothbrush and shampoo. Nope, didn't work. And I got a battle scar from trying to stand up with the bathtub faucet right on my back... OUCH. Dejected, I ended up just filling the bathtub with hot water and pouring in a whole bunch of dial soap. I let it sit overnight like that. It was a little bit better, but I still must go out and buy some bleach. Blah.

Today's Lesson: Ladies, use the washing machine to dye your crinnies, NOT your bathtub. Unless you are truly desperate, have bleach, and a scrubber. In that case, it is totally worth it. Just don't hit the bathtub faucet with your back.

Did anyone else dye their crinoline?

4 comments:

  1. I have never seen one dyed. Interesting. : ) I can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about dying my crinoline but to the color red or deep red... Have you tried the crinoline under the dress after it has been dyed to see if the color peeks through?

    I am interested to know. The last thing I would need is a partially pink dress =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @roddybride - i actually did wear the crinoline under the dress, and it does not bleed. the dress does not peek through either. i think the dying technique and the type of crinoline you buy is the key. The best fabrics for dyeing are those that are 100% washable, such as cotton, linen, rayon, and silk, as well as synthetic fibers like acetate and nylon. I believe mine was nylon. hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh...my goodness...you dyed it yourself? You are a genius!! I will never even dye it by myself...since I don't have the talent of that.
    anyway, it really looks very good. how beautiful it is. sky blue is always my favorite color. you did the great job.
    Congratulations! sweet bride.
    kisses,
    kelly in Brasil

    ReplyDelete