Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Project Purple Crinnies

After dyeing my crinoline blue in the bathtub, I had advised everyone to do it in their washer. So this last time, I went to my apartment's laundry room to do just that. Unfortunately, the public washer sucks because the hot water was cold. And my crinoline was so huge that it didn't even properly soak the whole thing. I ended up dying my crinoline in the bathtub, AGAIN.

Like before, I soaked my crinoline in the hot bathtub water for about 5 minutes. Then I added Purple Rit dye, this time in the liquid form (last time was Evening Blue in the powder).



Here is my crinoline soaking in the dye after 5 minutes!



I let it soak in there for about 40 minutes. I would scrunch, turn half the crinoline around, and let it soak every 10 minutes or so. This helped ensure that every single part got dye for a good amount of time. Here it is after 40 minutes.



Then I rinsed it in a tub of cold water 3 times, letting it sit for 10 minutes each time.



I hung it up to dry in my bathtub overnight. Look how pretty it is today!



And BAM! Nice and dark purple, just how I wanted it.



I can't wait to wear it! I'm not sure what I would do with these crinnies after the wedding. Anyone interested in buying them?

Note: The only reason I can think of to dye your crinoline in the bathtub instead of the washer (besides being desperate, like I was) is to ensure the color outcome. For example, if I had wanted a very light purple, I think 10 minutes of dye soaking would have been enough. To make sure the color was nice and dark, I added 10 minutes to the recommended 30 minutes. Also note that again, I did not add detergent or salt.

Does anyone else have any crinoline dyeing tips?

4 comments:

  1. I still think this looks cool. My favorite color is purple so I like this one more than the blue one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so after seeing two of your post I looked into the dying and it looks amazing. Wow. I want to do this now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! this is exactly what I'm going to do with mine, except that I only want the half bottom part purple :) I loooove purple

    ReplyDelete